Pancake Day is on the horizon and we’ve travelled across the pond to bring you the ultimate pancake recipe packed with American flavour!
So get stuck in and be sure to add a generous helping of family fun by seeing who’s the best flipper! Share who’s top of the pancake pile and show us your creations over Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
[responsive-image id=’4464′ align=’center’ caption=” alt=’Pancake stack with blueberries’]
Ingredients (makes 8)
3 large free range eggs
125 g plain flour
150 ml milk
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Topping of your choice (scroll on down!)
1. Separate the egg whites from the yolks and place in separate bowls.
[responsive-image id=’4463′ align=’right’ caption=” alt=’Egg whites’]
2. Add the flour, milk and baking powder to the yolks and whisk together until a smooth batter is formed.
3. Add the salt to the egg whites and whisk until they form stiff peaks (put your peaks to the test and hold the bowl upside down above your head – if they stay in the bowl you’ve nailed it!)
4. Gently fold the whisked egg whites into the batter and try not to burst too many of the air bubbles – these give the pancakes a beautiful velvety texture.
5. Heat up a pan and slowly pour in circles of the batter. You’ll notice it doesn’t run like other recipes, which is what allows you to stack up those chunky pancakes!
6. Fry for a few minutes and if using blueberries as one of your toppings, sprinkle these onto the uncooked side.
7. Flip and continue to fry until both sides are golden brown.
[responsive-image id=’4465′ align=’right’ caption=” alt=’Buttermilk pancakes w: berries, vanilla clotted cream, maple syrup ‘]
Time for toppings…
I really love this recipe as it leaves lots of choice for those all-important toppings. In my opinion, the best topping for pancakes is even more pancakes, however, if you have a sweet tooth I’d recommend blueberries with a touch of sugar or berries with vanilla yoghurt, whilst for all you savoury lovers nothing beats a classic bit of crispy bacon draped on top.