This flavoursome soup is a healthy twist on the French classic, weighing in at just 70 calories per cup. For a bit of a treat, places a slice of Swiss cheese over your portion and serve with crusty French baguette. Oh, did I mention it’s also really easy to make?
2 large onions
½ a teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sugar
8 cups beef stock
4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Heat a little oil in a pan over a medium heat.
2. Add chopped onions and 1 cup of beef stock.
3. Sauté onions until the stock has evaporated and the onions have started to caramelise.
4. Transfer the mixture from the pan into a large soup pan and add the rest of the ingredients, including the parmesan, and simmer.
5. Transfer the contents to a casserole dish, cover and leave on a high heat in the oven for 4-8 hours. This can also be finished in a slow cooker.